Kitchen Vastu tips: And kitchen direction as per Vastu…
According to Vastu, the kitchen is the location where the food that feeds the home’s occupants is prepared. We examine some Kitchen Vastu Shastra dos and don’ts for this important section of the home and determine the proper Kitchen Vastu Direction.
The centre of action in a contemporary home is now the kitchen. The modern appliances in well-designed kitchens are used by family members to cook, connect, and even socialise with friends and other people.
According to Vastu, the kitchen should face the south-east corner of the home, which is controlled by the fire god Agni. Consequently, according to Vastu shastra principles, it is the best kitchen position.
Kitchen direction as per Vastu
According to Vastu, the best place for a kitchen in an east-facing home is in the southeast. If the location cannot fit a kitchen, one may choose the northwest but should stay away from the north, west, and northeast directions. For a west-facing house, the design of the kitchen can take either the southeast or northwest into account.
For some people’s health, particularly for women, a kitchen facing north-west is ideal. The direction is under the control of the wind god Vayu. Fire is supported by the element of air. Make sure to balance the southeast direction when building a kitchen facing northwest. If designing a kitchen in the southeast and northwest is not viable, one should only think about designing it in the south-west. Place the gas in the southeast zone and paint the walls in yellow tones to counteract the negative impacts in order to correct this Vastu dosha. In the kitchen, use the least quantity of water possible. Provide an area outside the kitchen for cleaning utensils in accordance with Vastu.
Size of kitchen as per Vastu
The size of the kitchen is crucial when determining the ideal Vastu site for the kitchen. It shouldn’t be incredibly little. 80 square feet or more is the ideal size. The women of the family may suffer if the kitchen is incredibly small.
A home should have a suitable balance of the elements of earth, heaven, air, fire, and water, according to Vastu. “The Sun is associated with fire, or ‘agni devta,’ which represents strength and vitality. According to Vastu, fire sources should be positioned to face south-east. In order to cook facing east, the kitchen should be in the south-east corner of the home. According to Vastu, the west direction is a second neutral direction to face while cooking. The north-west corner of the kitchen is where the washbasin should ideally be located. According to Nitien Parmar of VastuPlus, who is headquartered in Mumbai, place the water pots and water purifier on the north-east side.
For optimal health and success, a kitchen that is uncluttered, large, and clean is a need. The kitchen needs to have windows, be light-filled and spacious. The kitchen should be designed with minimum, clear, simple lines in order to avoid clutter and have plenty of room while cooking. The west and south walls of the kitchen should have storage space as much as possible.
|“Water trickling from a tap or a leaky kitchen pipe signifies that riches is being taken out of one’s life and should be fixed right away. Always keep more than half of the rice jar at home filled for success. Keep storage jars off of used newspapers. Avoid cooking under an overhead beam and avoid keeping the trash can in the northeast of the kitchen, continues Parmar.|
There are various criteria for the open and closed kitchens in Vastu Shastra, which promotes building design and construction that is in accordance with the natural laws of the universe. This ensures that the house has the proper vibes and positive energy. According to astrology and Vastu Shastra expert Jayshree Dhamani, the atmosphere in the kitchen is crucial for the occupants’ health and other advantages.
|According to Vastu Shastra, “Health is wealth, and the proper positioning and arrangement of objects, in the suitable direction, important. The meal cooked in a fireplace is said to feed and nourish the body since the fireplace purifies the energy of the home. So, the fire must be directed in the ideal manner. Kitchens shouldn’t be located in the north, east, or south, according to Dhamani.|
Kitchen Vastu: Importance
As per Vastu shastra, the layout of a home can affect the way energies move around us. Everything, both living and non-living, has an effect on the energy flow, which is why it is important to adhere to Vastu principles in order to ensure positivity and remove any bad energies.
In the home, the kitchen plays a crucial function. Energy comes from where the meal is prepared, not from the food itself. A kitchen that is improperly designed could result in an imbalance of energies that would directly affect the occupants of the home. So, choosing the proper Vastu for the kitchen direction becomes crucial.
Vastu for kitchen windows and ventilation
For the woman of the home or whoever cooks in the kitchen, poor ventilation in the kitchen might have serious health consequences.
According to vastu, the placement of the windows in the kitchen is vital to maintaining a positive atmosphere. To draw the air out, a suitable window or air outputs like exhaust fans or contemporary chimneys are necessary. The quality of the food improves with good light and air.
According to Vastu, the optimal orientation for windows in the kitchen is to the east. The east can also be used to position an exhaust fan.
Vastu for Kitchen: And, Tips for open kitchen layout
Many Indian families are beginning to embrace the idea of an open kitchen, especially those who have spent several years living overseas. Here are a few Vastu tips for open kitchen layouts to keep in mind before choosing the kitchen location according to vastu:
- Due to the dominance of the fire element in both the south and east directions, the south-east is the perfect zone for an open kitchen.
- Avoid open kitchen designs in the northern zone since they limit prospects for job advancement, financial growth, and other opportunities.
- Another favourable zone for open kitchen designs is the west. According to Vastu, an open kitchen facing west encourages gains and financial and physical well-being.
Kitchen items and their direction as per Vastu
|Entry door||North, east or west|
|Cooking gas||South-east corner|
|Refrigerator||South-east, south, north or west|
|Equipment (e.g., heaters, conventional ovens, microwaves, ovens)||South-east or south|
|Storage racks||Western or southern wall|
|Sink||North-east corner for southeast kitchen|
|Windows and exhaust fan||East direction|
|Clocks||South or south-west wall|
Kitchen Vastu: Colours as per Vastu
|Wall colours for kitchen as per Vastu||Represents|
|White||Cleanliness and purity|
|Yellow||Cheery and positive|
|Pastel shades||Warmth and love|
|Colours for kitchen cabinets, floors and slabs|
|Lemon yellow, orange or green cabinets||Freshness, good health|
|Ceramic tiles, mosaic or marble flooring||Positivity|
|Quartz or granite slabs||Balanced environment|
The kitchen is a puritanical icon. Thus, based on Vastu Shastra, white is the ideal colour for a kitchen. Nevertheless, do not use too much white. Red should not be used in excess in the kitchen either since it produces unstable energy. Dark colours should be avoided as they may cause despair. Green, lemon yellow, and orange are other suggested perfect colours for the kitchen because they are healthy and fiery hues. To establish balance, choose a white kitchen ceiling. Blue, grey, and black should not be used in the kitchen. If a separate pooja room is not possible, a temple might be located in the northeast corner of the kitchen as long as vegetarian food is prepared. It is advisable not to maintain a temple in the kitchen if non-vegetarian food is prepared, says Dhamani. Vastu Shastra guidelines advise putting the mandir either to the right or left of the stove. Keep the stove away from the mandir. Also, according to Vastu, the mandir should never be close or beneath the location of the kitchen stove and sink. Black should not be used in the kitchen. The best colours are pale pastels.
Vastu for kitchen slab
According to Vastu Shastra, it is preferable to utilise stone or marble for a kitchen slab, particularly in a black colour. Depending on where the kitchen is located, the colour of the kitchen slab will vary. An good slab for an east-facing kitchen is one that is green or brown. Choose a yellow slab for your kitchen if it is in the northeast. According to Vastu principles, brown, maroon, or green slabs are appropriate for a kitchen position in the south or south-east. The best slab for a kitchen in the west is grey or yellow. Although it’s best to avoid having the kitchen in the north, the colour green is the choice for the slab in that location.
Vastu for kitchen sink and stove
According to Vastu principles, the location of the kitchen sink is crucial since it connects to the faucets, which are a water feature. The optimal orientation for a kitchen is southeast, and the washbasin should be in the northeast corner. The washbasin should be installed on the north side if the kitchen was constructed facing south.
Make sure the sink is not parallel to or facing the same way as the stove or the cooking area when building a kitchen sink. The washbasin refers to the water element, while the stove represents the fire element. To prevent any harmful effects, the two components must not be combined. They might be put in front of one another.
Kitchen Vastu: Dos and don’ts
Don’ts: Vastu for kitchen
- Avoid placing a kitchen directly above or below toilets.
- According to Vastu experts, the kitchen should never face the front door of the house.
- Medicines shouldn’t be kept in the kitchen.
- Keep trashy stuff out of the kitchen, such as rags, old newspapers, and undesirable goods.
- Vastu advises against keeping salt in iron or steel utensils.
- In the kitchen, washbasins and the cooking range should never be placed parallel to one another or on the same platform. Fire and water are opposite elements, which can lead to arguments and rifts within families and relationships.
- Never place the shoe rack adjacent to the kitchen, according to Vastu Shastra. Shoes should not be worn in the kitchen. If slippers are required, have a spare pair that should only be worn at home.
- According to Vastu, an overhead tanker should not face north or northeast if one is present in the kitchen. As advised by Vastu, you might put it outside the kitchen facing west.
Don’ts: Vastu for kitchen
- Clean the kitchen frequently. Clean the floor thoroughly and remove anything unpleasant. Never store cups, dishes or pans with chips or breaks. Always clean your kitchen and its appliances at night, just before you go to bed.
- Make sure the dustbins are cleaned frequently and that the trash can is always covered with a lid.
- Maintain a bamboo, tulsi, pudina, or other herbal plant near the kitchen window. Avoid prickly plants because they cause environmental tension.
- Put a tiny statue of the food goddess Annapurna in a rice jar. To ensure abundance in the kitchen, one might also keep a photo of Annapurna devi or a picture of fruits.
- A clean, well-organized kitchen not only makes cooking easier, but it also exudes positivity.
- The northern side of the kitchen should have a fruit basket since it represents abundance.
- Rice, flour, turmeric, and salt should never be missing from a kitchen. Vastu suggests that you refill these before they run out. In a glass container or jar, keep the salt. This promotes domestic tranquilly and prevents financial difficulties.
- Make sure the kitchen smells excellent to bring positive energy into the space. By boiling cinnamon sticks, orange peels, or lemon peels, you can create a natural air freshener.
- To maintain smooth cash flow in a household, keep the burners of the kitchen stove clean.
- To let the bad energy out, the kitchen needs a window. Install an exhaust above the window facing east to allow any negative energies to escape.
- According to Vastu, the door or entrance to your kitchen should face either east, north, or west.
- Make sure the kitchen door always opens in a clockwise direction when choosing the kitchen location according to vastu.
- Make sure that all of the kitchen’s fire-representative items—gas stoves, cylinders, microwaves, toasters, etc.—are situated in the south-east corner.
- According to Vastu, the refrigerator should be placed in the south-west corner of the kitchen since doing so will enable you to overcome challenges in life. Maintain a clean, well-organized, and empty fridge at all times. If one maintains water in bottles, make sure to replenish it frequently.
- According to Vastu, the south west of the kitchen is the preferred direction for keeping grains and stockpiles of daily necessities since it attracts success and prosperity. Fill empty containers with grains or throw them away. Any empty containers or jars must be stored in the northeast, east, or even north.
- Clean your kitchen cabinets, drawers, and other storage spaces frequently to keep good energy flowing. Get rid of expired food packs, stale items, cracked dishes, and even broken equipment.
- In order to ensure that the kitchen is always stocked with food, it is advantageous to store ghee and cooking oil in the south-east and south areas of the room.
- Knives and scissors should be stored inside a shelf or under cover according to kitchen Vastu. Keeping them hidden can result in tense interactions with family and friends. To prevent sourness in relationships, store pickles in a covered space at all times.
- In the kitchen, keep the water and fire elements in balance. The kitchen drain, washing machine, water pipes, and wash basins must all be placed in the north or northeast.
Kitchen cabinets and direction as per Vastu
According to vastu, the placement of cabinetry in a kitchen can affect the way energies move throughout the home. Kitchen walls to the south and west should have the most cabinets. Negative energy can be drawn to open area above kitchen cabinets. If the kitchen cabinets don’t go all the way up to the ceiling, display plants or other decor there.
Use green and brown tones for your eastern kitchen cabinetry.
Red, maroon, pink, orange, and brown are the best colours for cabinetry in the South and South-East.
Silver and white are the appropriate colours for western kitchen cabinetry.
Use blue, green, and brown colours for your northern kitchen.
Kitchen Vastu: Design and décor tips
- Avoid having an all-white kitchen because it will make the room appear drab and cold. Kitchens should always appear warm and inviting.
- Avoid building too many cupboards in dark colours because they can make the room appear cramped and oppressive.
- As per Vastu principles, locate the kitchen platform. Platforms contacting the kitchen’s north side should be avoided, although they can be expanded on the southern wall, according to kitchen Vastu.
- If a kitchen loft is necessary, it should be on the west or south wall rather than the east or north.
- Vastu states that keeping a pot of water filled with water in the kitchen keeps financial troubles at bay. Choose a smaller earthen pot if you can’t keep a larger one. Keep it in the north or north-east and fill it with water.
- Avoid ornamental decals if you want a timeless aesthetic because they could quickly go out of style.
- Avoid using dark colours in a small kitchen because they enlarge the room’s appearance.
- Low ceilings and high cabinets don’t go well together because one will make the other appear smaller.
- As per Vastu, make sure the kitchen stove is positioned correctly. If the stove and sink are close to one another, Vastu suggests placing a bone china vase between them as a Vastu cure.
- For natural lighting, make sure the windows face east or north.
- Yellow, orange, rose, chocolate, or red should be the colours of the kitchen floor.
- According to Vastu, the main door of the kitchen shouldn’t be directly in front of the position of the gas hob.
- A broom should never be kept upright and should never be kept in the kitchen. Keep it on the ground at all times.
According to Vastu, which way should I face when I’m cooking?
While cooking, one should look in the direction of the east. In order to face east while cooking, kitchen objects such gas stoves and appliances should be positioned in this manner. The west is an alternative cooking direction. Keep a bone china vase in between the cooker and the sink if they are close to one other as a Vastu cure.
Kitchen Vastu remedies to remove Vastu dosh at home
These are a few quick fixes for kitchen Vastu doshas, although it is always best to speak with a Vastu professional and get guidance.
- According to Vastu, if the kitchen is situated in the northeast or north, the Vastu dosha’s negative energy can be lessened by placing a Jupiter crystal pyramid over the stove.
- Install a set of three zinc pyramids on the wall opposite the stove if the placement of the stove does not follow Vastu Shastra.
- Vastu advises placing white tiles under the cooker if the kitchen platform is black and one is unable to change it.
- Hang a 50 mm crystal between the front entrance and the kitchen door on the ceiling if the kitchen’s Vastu defect is that it faces the front door of the house.
- To lessen the Vastu dosha caused by the water storage tank’s improper placement, hang a 50 mm crystal from each of the kitchen’s four corners.
- Place a Mars crystal pyramid next to the electrical appliances if they are Vastu-designed kitchen appliances that aren’t facing south-east.
- If the kitchen is in the Vastu-unfavorable north-east direction, it is advised to paint it yellow to lessen the negative impacts of the Vastu flaw.
- In order to lessen the negative effects of a Vastu flaw, a zinc metal ‘nine pyramid’ should be glued on both sides of the wall that is shared by the kitchen and bathroom if they do.
- If the temple or puja room sits over the kitchen sink, a quick fix is to add a crystal and a yellow light bulb to the space.
- You can also use little amounts of uncrushed sea salt to balance Vastu doshas. It takes in all the bad energy from the house. Regularly swap out the salt in the basin.
- The individual who is cooking shouldn’t be facing the kitchen door. In either the east, north, or north-east direction, the door should open clockwise. A Vastu solution is to mount three Zinc Jupiter crystal pyramids on the wall opposite the stove if this is not practicable.